Day 112: Crossing the Thorung La Pass and farewell to Lydia

Posted on 16 Jun 2017

From Manang, we had a steady trek up to a Kharka campsite following a slight delay in the town for photos, coffee and a stock of various pastries for slightly later consumption.

Lunch was on the trail and we continued to the campsite.

The following morning we continued up the valley crossing the river on a suspension bridge, then across a rockfall site then scree slope and into Thorung Pedi, the lowest lodge below the Thorung La pass which is our target for the following day.

After a leisurely lunch in the lodge we then had a steep climb up to the High Camp where the tents were pitched on a terrace and we enjoyed the facilities of the lodge through the remainder of the afternoon and teatime.

Overnight we had a dusting of snow but awoke to a brilliant morning and made an early start on the trail towards the pass.

It was a steady and often breathless climb to the high point of the pass and a long descent to Muktinath broken by a stop at a tea house. Upon arrival at Muktinath the tents awaited us in the grounds of a lodge and we passed the afternoon in the town whilst we awaited the arrival of our Stage 6 Trekkers (Adrienne, Phaedra and Naomi) who arrived around teatime with our new trek crew when we all enjoyed a celebratory meal and an excellent cake from our departing kitchen crew.

The next day was a rest/acclimatisation day and the facilities of the town (mainly Bob Marley bar and hotels offering hot showers...some were hotter than others) were used to the full.

The following morning we had to say a tearful goodbye to Martin's daughter Lydia who had certainly brought a youthful element to our group. We then hit the trail and followed the hardpack road down to Kagbeni where lunch was served to us in a local lodge.

Before lunch the opportunity was taken to explore the village which was rich in Tibetan heritage.

The afternoon saw us cross the river then climb through the strong afternoon wind to a campsite adjacent to a small spring. We were now using ponies/mules for the majority of the load carrying and they were tethered for the night adjacent to the tents.

In the morning we had to ascend to a ridge then contour around to a pass at 4,400m and descend to the small Tibetan village of Santa (we found no snow or reindeer!) where we camped for the night with the afternoon wind and dust defeating all attempts to keep it out of our tents and equipment. The next morning we followed the path down from Santa crossing a couple of ridges, lunching by a bridge over the river then faced a long and steep climb to a Kharka campsite below the pass which is our target for the morning.

Ian Martin Matt Brian Adrienne Phaedra Naomi Urda TL Kirat and Bikash

**Note from World Expeditions...The team were not able to send a new image with this update so we have reused one from Day 100**

world expeditions